The Fall 2023 Meeting of the MD-DC-VA section of the MAA
will be held at Stevenson University on October 13-14, 2023.
On Friday, Justin Dunmyre of Frostburg State University will run a workshop entitled Alternative Grading: Build-a-Syllabus Workshop, and Dave Taylor of Roanoke College will give the banquet address More Mathematics + More Magic = Even More Mathemagic. The Saturday morning address, Community and Belonging in Mathematics will be given by Deanna Haunsperger of Carleton College. The Saturday afternoon address, Putting the Differential Back in Differential Calculus, will be given by Eugene Boman of Penn State Harrisburg.
- Congratulations to Jennifer Bergner of Salisbury University, 2023 winner of the John M. Smith Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching!
- The Spring 2023 Newsletter
is online. Highlights include info about the spring meeting, Section Chair and Section Representative reports, news and events, student essay contest winner, a pinwheel Sudoku puzzle, and more.
Spring meeting highlights – The Spring 2023 meeting of the MD-DC-VA section of the MAA
was held at Virginia State University on April 28-29, 2023.
- Congratulations to Minah Oh of James Madison University, 2022 winner of the
Sister Helen Christensen Service Award!
- Award Nominations: If you are interested in making a nomination for either the John M. Smith Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching or the Sister Helen Christensen Service Award, please the Smith Award nomination page and the
Christensen Award nomination page.
- Section History: The section is always looking for information on section history.
We are interested in information and stories about section meetings, summer
workshops, people, newsletters and institutions. If you have anything to contribute,
please email the webmaster.
Future Meeting Locations and Dates
- Fall 2023: Stevenson University, Oct. 13 – 14, 2023
- Spring 2024: James Madison University, Apr. 26 – 27, 2024