- Unfortunately, the MAA MD-DC-VA spring section meeting that was scheduled to be held at Salisbury University has been canceled. While the executive committee was discussing the possibility of canceling the spring section meeting due to COVID-19 as suggested by the MAA Headquarters, we received notice from the host institution that they will not be able to host the meeting anymore. This is directly related to the major actions that the state of Maryland is taking to limit the spread of the virus which was recently announced by the governor. We very much appreciate the efforts of the local organizers at Salisbury University and many others in the section who put in a lot of time and thought into organizing this meeting. Hope everyone stays healthy, and we look forward to seeing you at the fall section meeting at Longwood University!
- The Spring 2020 Newsletter
is online. Highlights include Section Chair and Section Representative reports, news and events, essay competition winners, a crossword, and more.
- The section is considering a few changes to the bylaws. See here for more.
Congratulations to Eve Torrence of Randolph-Macon College, the 2019 winner of the
Sister Helen Christensen Service Award!
- Fall meeting highlights - The Fall 2019 Meeting of the
MD-DC-VA section of the MAA was held at Norfolk State University on November 8 – 9, 2019.
- See this announcement for information on the 3rd Northeast Conference for Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education held Saturday, October 5, at York College, CUNY in Jamaica, Queens, NYC.
Congratulations to Della Dumbaugh of the University of Richmond, the 2019 winner of the
John M. Smith Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching!
- If you are interested in making a nomination for either the John M. Smith Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching or the Sister Helen Christensen Service Award, please the Smith Award nomination page and the
Christensen Award nomination page.
- Section History: The section is always looking for information on section history.
We are interested in information and stories about section meetings, summer
workshops, people, newsletters and institutions. If you have anything to contribute,
please email the webmaster.
Future Meeting Locations and Dates
- Fall 2020: Longwood University, November 6 – 7, 2020
- Spring 2021: James Madison University, April 23 – 24, 2021
- Fall 2021: TBD
- Spring 2022: Virginia State University, dates TBD