The Spring 2021 meeting of the MD-DC-VA section of the MAA will be held at virtually on April 23 – 24.
On Friday, April 23 from 4 to 6 pm, Kendra Pleasant, Syafrida Syafrida, and Ahlam Tannouri of Morgan State University will run the workshop Why Do I Need to Take This Math Class? Engaging Students in Mathematics Using Culturally Responsive Teaching.
The Saturday morning address, An introduction to symmetric functions — a gem in Algebraic Combinatorics will be given by Anna Ying Pun of the University of Virginia. The Saturday afternoon address, Take Data Analysis Seriously: You Might Save Lives will be given by Paul Patron of NIST.
- The Fall 2020 Newsletter
is online. Highlights include info about the fall meeting, reports from the Section Representative and Section Chair, news, and a crossword.
Congratulations to Leigh Lunsford, Phillip Poplin, and David Shoenthal of Longwood University, 2020 co-winners of the
Sister Helen Christensen Service Award!
Congratulations to Susan Goldstine of St. Mary's College of Maryland, the 2020 winner of the
John M. Smith Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching!
- If you are interested in making a nomination for either the John M. Smith Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching or the Sister Helen Christensen Service Award, please the Smith Award nomination page and the
Christensen Award nomination page.
- Fall meeting highlights - The Fall 2020 Meeting of the
MD-DC-VA section of the MAA was held virtually on November 7, 2020.
- Section History: The section is always looking for information on section history.
We are interested in information and stories about section meetings, summer
workshops, people, newsletters and institutions. If you have anything to contribute,
please email the webmaster.
Future Meeting Locations and Dates
- Spring 2021: Online virtual meeting, April 23 – 24, 2021
- Fall 2021: Salisbury University, dates TBA
- Spring 2022: Virginia State University, April 8 – 9, 2022