- The section's fall meeting of the MD-DC-VA Section of the MAA will be a one-day virtual conference on Saturday, November 7. There will be invited speakers, contributed talks, and a business meeting. The Saturday morning address, Complete Leibniz algebras, will be given by Kristen Boyle of Longwood University. The Saturday noontime address, A Survey of Applied Mathematics Applications in Metrology at NIST, will be given by Anthony J. Kearsley of NIST. The Saturday afternoon address, The power of polynomials: polynomials in distributed storage, will be given by Gretchen Matthews of Virginia Tech. Zoom links will be available to registrants as the meeting approaches.
Congratulations to Susan Goldstine of St. Mary's College of Maryland, the 2020 winner of the
John M. Smith Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching!
- The Spring 2020 Newsletter
is online. Highlights include Section Chair and Section Representative reports, news and events, essay competition winners, a crossword, and more.
- The section is considering a few changes to the bylaws. See here for more.
Congratulations to Eve Torrence of Randolph-Macon College, the 2019 winner of the
Sister Helen Christensen Service Award!
- Fall meeting highlights - The Fall 2019 Meeting of the
MD-DC-VA section of the MAA was held at Norfolk State University on November 8 – 9, 2019.
- If you are interested in making a nomination for either the John M. Smith Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching or the Sister Helen Christensen Service Award, please the Smith Award nomination page and the
Christensen Award nomination page.
- Section History: The section is always looking for information on section history.
We are interested in information and stories about section meetings, summer
workshops, people, newsletters and institutions. If you have anything to contribute,
please email the webmaster.
Future Meeting Locations and Dates
- Fall 2020: One-day virtual conference, November 7, 2020
- Spring 2021: James Madison University, April 23 – 24, 2021
- Fall 2021: Salisbury University, dates TBA
- Spring 2022: Virginia State University, April 8 – 9, 2022