- T-Shirt Contest
At Mathfest 2015 there will be a section t-shirt competition, and a day designated at the conference where everyone wears their section t-shirt. Three prizes will be awarded at the national level for:
The prizes will be (not necessarily in respective order):
- Highest sales per capita (# of T-shirts ordered divided by official count of membership of the section in June 2015).
- Best design as judged by the Committee on Sections.
- Most notable presence on t-shirt day at the Centennial MathFest in 2015.
All submitted designs must be:
- An additional 5% of proceeds to the section at the section book sale following the centennial.
- One additional section visitor available to speak at section meeting in one of the two years following the centennial.
- A registration to MathFest 2016 for the section to give away or raffle off at its pleasure.
The deadline for T-shirt design submissions is: October 13, 2014. Please submit completed designs to our Section Chair, David Shoenthal.
- submitted by an MAA member.
- an original one-sided design.
- mathematical in nature.
- printable in four colors or fewer.
- easy to reproduce on a colored T-shirt. Specify the color of shirt you intend for your design. Color of the shirt will affect the price.
- an EPS file (although a PDF is acceptable for design submission).
- The MAA logo should print in either black or white ONLY on the front left breast of the t-shirts.
- The standard t-shirt stock is Gildan Ultra Cotton (100% cotton pre-shrunk)
Congratulations to Roland Minton of Roanoke College, the 2014 winner of the
John M. Smith Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching!
- Nominations for the Sister Helen Christensen
Service Award are now being accepted.
Nominations can be sent to any of the committee members.
See the guidelines for nominations
for more information.
- Spring 2014 Meeting Highlights
- The Spring 2014 Newsletter
is online. Spring Meeting at JMU, Section Reports, Math Awareness Month 2014, AMC5 Contest, Awards, Publications, Events, and more.
Raina Robeva of Sweet Briar College Wins Statewide Recognition
The Outstanding Faculty Awards are the Commonwealth's highest honor for faculty at
Virginia's public and private colleges and universities. These awards recognize
superior accomplishments in teaching, research, and public service.
See the press release for more.
- Fall 2013 Meeting Highlights
- Book Sale Notice:
Since Spring 2013, all section members have been able to receive their section meeting
discount on books online.
- Section History Blog:
The section is currently accumulating information on section history.
We are interested in information and stories about section meetings, summer
workshops, people, newsletters and institutions. If you have anything to contribute
please make a comment in the appropriate post.
- The 2013 Section Governors Presentation
- MAA Awards, Prizes, and Lecturers Committee Information:
Information about committee chairs and nomination deadlines for MAA awards.
If you are not receiving e-mail notifications about MAA news and conferences you
may need to activate your e-mail address with the MAA. To do so please click on the
- Subscribe to the MAA E-mail List
Future Meeting Locations and Dates
- Fall 2014: Bowie State University, November 7-8, 2014
- Spring 2015: University of Mary Washington, April 17-18, 2015
- Fall 2015: St. Mary's College of Maryland, November 6-7, 2015