2021 ISBE Teacher Preparation Standards
The Illinois Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamation continues to impact a number of areas in the realm of teacher preparation. (Some of these changes are being codified into rules in case something like the current public health situation occurs again; so that "the wheel does not need to be reinvented" each time a public health emergency proclamation is declared. These rules are still being finalized but would only be in effect when such proclamations are in force.) Here is a summary of the actions that will be in effect for the spring semester.
- A student teaching or clinical experience needs to be completed in order to be licensed; however, remote learning, simulations, and other options were added as options for meeting the requirement.
- Candidates may begin student teaching or clinical experiences prior to passing the required content area test; however, the test needs to be passed prior to being licensed.
- Institutions of higher education are exempt from following the "C- Rule" for grades in content area and professional coursework when entitling candidates this spring, if the candidate is already enrolled in the teacher preparation program. However, institutions of higher education could choose to still enforce the "C- Rule" for their institution.
- The exemption from having to complete the edTPA was extended to spring student teachers.
- Testing centers are open but with limited seating.