Most Current News
- June 16–18 2017: PNWMAA Section Meeting
- April 13–17 2016: Kryptos
- April 8 2017: NUMS
- March 2017: Mathematical Matters
- October 28 2016: Distinguished Teacher Award Nominations
PNW MAA Section Meeting
The dates of the PNW MAA Annual Section Meeting usually rotate through a three-year cycle. Two of the three years, the meeting is held in spring (typically April) at a location relatively close to the section's center (in terms of population density, not geographic area). Every third year, the meeting is held in early summer (typically June) at a location closer to the periphery.
Tentative Speakers & Minicourses for 2017 Meeting
- Matt Boelkins, Grand Valley State University
- John Milton, Claremont McKenna College
- Stan Yoshinobu, California State Polytechnic University
- Minicourse: Mathematica, an Interactive Experience—Eric Shulz, Walla Walla Community College
- Minicourse: Inquiry Based Learning—Stan Yoshinobu, California State Polytechnic University
Northwest Undergraduate Mathematics Symposium
The PNW Section provides support for the annual Northwest Undergraduate Mathematics Symposium (NUMS). In years when the PNW MAA Section Meeting is in early Spring, NUMS is often held in conjunction with the section meeting. On other years, NUMS is held in early spring to allow for more student participation.
The PNW section compiles two editions of Mathematical Matters published each year: one in Spring and one in Fall. Submissions are accepted by the Newsletter Editor, Kelly McKinnie, at any time. Submissions by late October usually make it into the Fall Newsletter while those by late February usually make it into the Spring Newsletter. The most recent newsletter is posted here, older versions can be found in the Mathematical Matters Archive.
The PNW MAA Section provides support for the annual Kryptos cryptology contest for students. It occurs in early April of each year.
Distinguished Teaching Award Nominations
Initial nominating materials (the first page of the Nomination Form) are usually due to the Section Secretary/Treasurer, Tom McKenzie, in late October of each year. Complete materials are usually due from selected semi-finalists in early January of the following year.
- Eligibility requirements: http://www.maa.org/Awards/Haimo_EGN.pdf
- Nomination form: http://www.maa.org/Awards/Haimo_NF.pdf
PNW Math Clubs
There is a Facebook page for PNW Math Clubs.
- In the Events section, you can find an Online Calendar of recent and upcoming events. There is also New Events Submission form. The calendar features an RSS feed if you prefer to get your information in that format.
- Much of the section’s activities center around the annual meeting. Information about upcoming and past meetings can be found on these pages. I am trying to make past meeting homepages and programs available in pdf format. If you have electronic or hard copy versions of these items, please send them my way and I will try to get them posted.
- I am collecting as much historical information about the section as possible on these pages. Currently, I have a Historical Narrative, an archive of Newsletters and pages where you can search for Award Recipients and Officers of the section.
- This section of the site includes information about the PNW regional Project NExT (New Experiences in Teaching) . This is a professional development program for new college-level faculty interested in “improving the teaching and learning of undergraduate mathematics.” Information about application deadlines and eligbility criteria can be found here.
- This section of the site refers to the administration of the section. You can find the current By-laws and Officers of the section here. This is also where any guidelines or advising documents are placed.