New Experiences in Teaching - Southeastern Section of the MAA
Project NExT (New Experiences in Teaching) is a national program for new or recent Ph.Ds in the mathematical sciences who are interested in improving the teaching and learning processes of undergraduate mathematics. Section NExT-SE is an implementation of Project NExT localized for the Southeastern Section. Non-tenured, Ph.D-holding faculty members in our section are invited to apply to become Section NExT-SE Fellows.
Our next meeting for the Section NExT-SE Fellows will be March 2018 at Clemson University just prior to the annual section meeting. At this workshop, participants will discuss topics of special relevance to beginning faculty.
We look forward to seeing each of our fellows at this meeting!
Apply To Be a Section NExT-SE Fellow
Section NExT-SE accepts applications beginning on 1 December.
Recent Ph.Ds are eligible to apply for Section NExT-SE if they meet the following criteria:
- The applicant is not already a member of the national Project NExT,
- The applicant has completed no more than five years of full-time college instruction, and
- The applicant has completed at least one year of teaching at their current institution.
Each applicant must:
- Complete the application form
- Submit a statement, similar to your teaching statement, that expresses what you (and others) hope to gain from your participation in Section NExT-SE. This statement should include examples of your activities in the classroom.
- Submit a statement of support for travel expenses from your institution. This letter should be written by a department chair, dean, or other administrator that can vouch for your ongoing financial and travel abilities to participate in this program.
For those who are accepted, partial funding is available to supplement that which is received from an fellow's institution; fellows are expected to obtain financial support from their institution in order to attend the upcoming sectional meeting. The letter of support should indicate the amount of financial coverage the applicant will obtain from his or her institution.
Information for National Project NExT Fellows
Thanks for your interest in Project NExT-SE. There are a number of ways that you can participate:
- You can attend, present, and help organize the Section NExT-SE sessions;
- You can be included on the email list;
- You can become involved in Section NExT-SE sponsored activities at the section meetings; and
- You can meet colleagues and peers in the Southeastern Section.
If you are interested in participating in Section NExT-SE, please contact the organizers.
- Stacey Ernstberger (2018)
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
LaGrange, GA 30240
Email: sernstberger (at) lagrange (dot) edu
- Kristen Abernathy (2019)
- Zach Abernathy (2020)