The Mathematical Association of America
North Central Section
North Central Section, Mathematical Association of America
Officers’ Meeting Minutes, October 19, 2007
Bemidji State University, Bemidji, MN
Present: Tom Sibley, Jennifer Galovich, Su Doree, Randy Westhoff, Co Livingston, Jim Tattersall.
Absent: Richard Jarvinen, Steve Kennedy, Ryan Zerr , Shawn Chiappetta, Kris Nairn,
Discussion: Communication from main office could be improved, especially when people shift jobs there.
Treasurer: Randy Westhoff
Passed out income/expense summary. Book sale last spring was low, probably because the books were on the 4th floor and the meetings on the first floor. Lost money during the summer seminar, most likely due to the Gallian birthday event being held at the same time. The CD with over $14000 in it is due soon. We agreed to have Randy renew that.
Governor: Jennifer Galovich
MAA is undergoing long-range strategic planning. There is a focus for each period. Floated an idea about scheduling time during the next section meeting for people to give her feedback about the MAA. Decided to send an initial email to section members to get some feedback and then focus the questions at the spring meeting. We’d like to know what would make it worth the members’ time to come to a section meeting.
She has proposed that the MAA do some green investments.
Math Fest: Su Doree
President: Tom Sibley
April 25-26, 2008 College of St. Benedict. Deanna Haunsperger and Paul Zorn speaking.
Service award chair: Donna Flynt
Teaching award chair: Ivy Knoshaug
Jim Tattersall: A section can sponsor a NExT fellow.
The fellow would work in the section.
He thinks this costs $2500.
We’ll look into this.
Nominations: Su Doree, Steve Kennedy, Tom Sibley.
They need people for the following positions:
At-large board member.
Randy Westhoff agreed to continue in the treasurer position.
Pi Mu Epsilon: April 11, 12, 2008
Fall 2008 meeting at Concordia, Moorhead
Future meeting location ideas:
Jennifer will contact Hamline
Su will initiate with Metro State
Tom will call St. Mary’s.
Su will ask about Augsburg.
Randy will contact St. Thomas.
MAA Brick: The Board will bring a recommendation for the section to purchase a $303 brick for the Halmos Walk.
Summer Seminar: Many ideas were discussed.
Tom Sibley will talk with Bob Devaney about something related to dynamical systems.
Jennifer will talk to Vic Reiner about something related to computation algebraic geometry.
Issues Facing the Section:
Jennifer will create an electronic questionnaire.
Is there any benefit to MAA membership versus PME membership for students/clubs? Tom explained the details on that.
Discussed changes to section meeting format. No decisions.
Discussed having section pay for officer’s dinner. Discussed meeting outside of a meal. Jim Tattersall said we got more done over a meal that most sections do away from a meal! No decision was made.
Submitted by Co Livingston
October 20, 2007
Last updated on Thursday, November 08, 2007 .