The University of Detroit Mercy Mathematics Department is honored to host the 2019 Annual Meeting of the Michigan Section of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) and the Michigan Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges (MichMATYC). The meeting will take place Friday-Saturday, April 5-6. The meeting will begin around 2 pm on Friday and continue until around 5 pm on Saturday. There will be a workshop on inquiry-based learning on Friday morning before the start of the conference.
- [**Brief schedule of talks and events**](2019_Spring_annual_meeting_schedule.pdf)
- [**Full program of talks, abstracts, and events**](2019_Spring_annual_meeting_program.pdf)
The first talk will be at 2:15 pm on Friday, April 5, and the on-site registration table will open one hour before. There is also a pre-conference workshop on "Teaching with Inquiry-Based Learning" facilitated by the Center for Inquiry-Based Learning at the University of Michigan which starts Friday at 8:30am. The opening plenary talk on Saturday, April 6 will be at 8:45 am. Depending on the number of contributed talks, the conference will run until 4 pm or 5 pm on Saturday.
There will be five plenary lectures, each around 50 minutes in length, and three to four local invited addresses, each around 35 minutes in length. The meeting will also feature parallel sessions of 20 minute contributed talks and poster sessions, where faculty and students are invited to present their mathematical research and teaching innovation techniques. Speakers, titles, and abstracts for all talks will be posted shortly before the meeting, and a printed program will be given to each conference attendee.
A special ceremony will take place at the Friday Banquet where the MAA Section awards will be presented.
Students are particularly encouraged to give talks or present posters. Some of the contributed talk breakout rooms will house talks by undergraduate students. There will be a free pizza lunch for undergraduate attendees (free advance registration required). An award will be given to the student with the most outstanding talk.
- Friday, March 1: Submit abstracts for contributed talks
- Friday March 15: Submit abstracts for posters
- Friday, March 15: Submit abstracts for undergraduate talks
- Wednesday, March 27: Register to be included in the meal count
- Wednesday, March 27: Register to be included in the IBL workshop
- Tuesday, April 2: Students register for free pizza luncheon
- Friday-Saturday, April 5-6: Days of the conference and on-site registration
## Plenary Speakers
- [**Roni Ellington**](https://www.morgan.edu/school_of_education_and_urban_studies/departments/advanced_studies_leadership_and_policy/our_faculty/staff/roni_ellington.html) (Morgan State University)
- [**Candice Price**](http://www.sandiego.edu/cas/math/faculty-and-staff/biography.php?profile_id=2175) (University of San Diego)
- [**James Sellers, MAA Secretary**](http://www.personal.psu.edu/jxs23/) (Penn State University)
- [**Amanda Serenevy**](https://riverbendmath.org/about/people/AmandaSerenevy) (Riverbend Community Math Center)
- [**Suzanne Weekes**](https://www.wpi.edu/people/faculty/sweekes) (Worcester Polytechnic Institute)
## Local Invited Speakers
- [**Garry Johns**](https://webtech.svsu.edu/lookup/bio/glj) (Saginaw Valley State University)
- **Beth Kelch & Myung Pinner** (Delta College)
- [**Jose Perea**](https://math.msu.edu/directory/PersonalPage.aspx?id=111114352) (Michigan State University)
- [**Prasad Venugopal**](https://www.udmercy.edu/about/people/university/ces/chemistry/venugopal-eswara.php) (University of Detroit Mercy)
## Contributed Talks
To contribute a talk, please send abstracts via e-mail to Nancy Colwell at [**email@example.com**](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) with "MAA contributed talk" in the subject line. Talks may focus on any subject related to mathematics: mathematical scholarship, expository mathematics, or issues related to curriculum or pedagogy in the collegiate classroom.
Talks should be 20 minutes in length, including a few minutes for questions. Your abstract submission must include the talk title, abstract, your name, affiliation, home or office address, phone number, e-mail address, and any equipment needs for your presentation. If you have any questions, please contact Nancy Colwell.
The deadline for abstracts for contributed talks is Friday, March 1, 2019. Undergraduate abstracts and abstracts for posters may be submitted until Friday, March 15, 2019. Abstracts received after the deadlines will be considered as space permits.
## Inquiry Based Learning Workshop
[**The University of Michigan IBL Center**](https://lsa.umich.edu/math/centers-outreach/ibl-center-for-inquiry-based-learning.html) is organizing a special pre-conference workshop on the morning of Friday, April 5 entitled "Teaching with Inquiry-Based Learning (IBL)".
Please use the [**online registration form**](https://goo.gl/forms/RwvAifSyJjzpHbqC3) to register by Wednesday, March 27, 2019.
## Social Events, Meals, and Honors
- Friday evening (5:30-6:30): Social hour with light hors d'oeuvres and cash bar. Cost included in registration.
- Friday evening (6:30): Awards banquet and plenary speaker. Choice of chicken marsala, grilled salmon, or vegetarian lasagna ($30).
- Saturday morning: Continental breakfast. Assorted pastries, fruit, coffee/tea/juice. Included in registration.
- Saturday noon: Faculty buffet luncheon ($15).
- Saturday noon: Student free pizza lunch (free advance registration required by Tuesday, March 26).
Here is a [link to a pdf file of the hotel information given below.](2019_Spring_annual_meeting_hotels.pdf) The following hotels all have complementary wifi, parking, breakfast, and fitness center, and are located on Stephenson Highway near 14-Mile, making the commute to and from University of Detroit Mercy relatively simple.
Room blocks will be held until March 22, 2019.
- Hampton Inn Detroit-Madison Heights-South Troy.
Address: 32420 Stephenson Hwy, Madison Heights, MI 48071. Phone: (248) 585-8881
- Baymont by Wyndham Madison Heights-Detroit Area. Address: 32800 Stephenson Highway, Madison Heights, Michigan 48071-5524. Phone: (248) 588-3388
- Residence Inn Detroit-Troy/Madison Heights. Address: 32650 Stephenson Hwy, Madison Heights, MI 48071. Phone: (248) 583-4322
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Detroit-Troy. Address: 225 Stephenson Hwy, Troy, MI 48083. Phone: (248) 588-2000
- Towneplace Suites Detroit-Troy. Address: 325 Stephenson Hwy, Troy, MI 48083. Phone: (248) 585-7000
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Detroit-Troy. Address: 400 Stephenson Hwy, Troy, MI 48083. Phone: (248) 583-1900
## Meeting Locations
The main building for the conference is the Student Union Building. The registration, book tables, space for exhibitors, breaks, Saturday's breakfast and the social hour will be in the second-floor lobby of this building. All plenary talks, the banquet, the faculty luncheon, posters and some local invited talks will be in the Student Union Ballroom. The panel discussion, the student game, the AWM breakfast, and the student pizza lunch, will be in the President's Dining Room which is in the same building. Other local invited talks will be in the Engineering Building, which is next to the Student Union Building. All contributed talks will be in rooms on the second floor of the Student Union Building. (See [**here**](https://www.udmercy.edu/about/location.php) for various campus maps with these locations.)
Please use the **[online registration](https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdmjtdvCItoihYYnjJpYmPyKDZjHL9ltJu3sARSJGXEvEtmMg/viewform)** to register. Registration is needed by **Wednesday, March 27, 2019** to be included in the meal count. On-site registration is also possible at the conference on Friday-Saturday, April 5-6.
- Everyone who attends the conference must fill out the online registration form or register in person at the conference.
- The registration fee is **$30 per person.** Registration is free for K-12 school faculty and for graduate, undergraduate and high school students.
- Registration for meals are no longer being accepted.
Mail registration fees (checks made out to Department of Mathematics University of Detroit Mercy) to:
> Jeffrey Boats
> Department of Mathematics
> University of Detroit Mercy
> 4001 W. McNichols Road
> Detroit, MI 48221-3038
Thank you if you have sent a check through the mail to pay for your registration and meals. If not, please bring a check with you to the meeting.
## Driving Directions and Parking
Parking for the conference is in [parking lot B on the McNichols Campus](https://www.udmercy.edu/about/images/McNichols_Campus_map.jpg).
An overview of driving directions is [**here**](https://www.udmercy.edu/about/location.php).
Parking permits that can be pre-printed will be sent via email to participants before the conference.
## Program Committee
- Nancy Colwell (Saginaw Valley State University), [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dawn Archey (University of Detroit Mercy), [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Amy Hlavacek (Saginaw Valley State University), [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Natascha Rivet (Delta College), [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Amy Shell-Gellasch (Eastern Michigan University), [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)
## Local Arrangements Committee
- Jeffrey Boats (University of Detroit Mercy), [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)