Join Louisiana/Mississippi Section NExT!
|Designed for new college and university faculty holding
a masters or doctorate in the mathematical sciences, Section NExT (New
Experiences in Teaching) is a two year professional development
program that addresses the full range of faculty responsibilities
including teaching, scholarly activities, and service.
Information on this page has been liberally
borrowed from the Southern California Section of the MAA.
The goals for the LA/MS Section NExT are:
- To create a venue at our MAA Section Meetings and via
email in which the needs and concerns of new faculty can be openly
discussed with a regional network of mathematicians.
- To inform participants about current trends and
innovations in undergraduate education.
- To establish collaboration and interaction between people
from the many different kinds of institutions in our section, including
private colleges, state universities, liberal arts colleges and
- To encourage the participation of new faculty and their
students in the activities of the LA/MS Section of the MAA.
- To match participants with mentors from similar
- To encourage participating mathematicians to get involved
in the preparation of future teachers.
LA/MS Section NExT fellows participate in a special program at the
annual meeting of the Louisiana/Mississippi Section of the MAA.
- Typical Program
- 6:30 p.m. - Section NExT Fellows and Mentors Dinner.
- Friday - Section NExT Fellows Program
- 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. “Welcome to the MAA!” panel and discussion
- 9:15 - 10:15 a.m. Section NExT Invited Speaker
- 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. - Section NExT Panel
- Saturday, March 6
- 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. - Distinguished Teaching Address - Last years Award Winne
We will accept applications from faculty who are within the first three
years of beginning full-time employment with teaching responsibilities
at the college or university level. The application consists of a
short personal statement and a letter of support from the department
A Section NExT fellow will be required to attend the spring
section meeting. At this meeting, there will be special
activities for the Section NExT fellows.
National NExT fellows are encouraged to participate in
the Section NExT activities!
Applications for the upcoming meeting are being accepted.
Please be certain to abide by the deadline for
Please address questions to any
of the organizers of the
Louisiana/Mississippi Section NExT Program... Committee