The 73rd Annual Meeting of the Louisiana-Mississippi Section of the
Mathematical Association of America was held on the campus of Southern
University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana on March 1-2, 1996. Southern University
hosted the meeting. The meeting consisted of seven invited guest speakers,
four workshops, five panel discussions, 22 contributed papers, seven student
papers, and a student team competition with 31 teams competing.
Business Meeting Minutes
March 2, 1996
Section Chair Phil Quartararo of Southern University called the meeting
to order. Chairman Quartararo thanked all members who contributed to the
success of the section meeting. He presented gifts made by members of the
Mathematics Department of Southern University to each of the keynote speakers.
Chairman Quartararo expressed thanks to the following exhibitors:
Harper Collins College Publishers
Harcourt Brace/Saunders College Publishing
ITP, Brooks Cole, PWS
Chairman Quartararo recognized Professor D. Bagayoka, a member of the
Physics Department at Southern University, who made some brief comments
regarding the Alliance for Minority Progress program in Louisiana.
The following brief report on the Awards Banquet which was held Friday
night was given by Chairman Quartararo.
- Professors Paul Rees and Richard Anderson were honored for their long
term service to mathematics, the MAA, and the LA-MS Section. Professor
Pat Jones of USL was selected as the Section's Outstanding Teacher of the
Year. Professor Carlos Spaht of LSU Shreveport was given an award for his
outstanding service in the Shreveport area related to the "LaPrep"
program which he originated and continues to build there.
- Professors Robert Park and Robert Stewart provided (vocal and keyboard)
music for the entertainment of all.
Professor Charles Rees read a response to the award received by Professor
Paul Rees. Professor Rees expressed the family's thanks to the section.
Chairman Quartararo expressed thanks for the section to Professor John
Travis of Mississippi College for the section's
home page on the World Wide Web
The following reports were given.
- The Treasurer's
report was given by Professor Rose Strahan.
- Professor Charles Alexander, Section Governor, gave a brief
- Professor George Mead gave the Necrology
Concerns Committee report was given by Professor Connie Campbell of
- The Nominations/Place of Meeting Committee report was given by Rogers
- Meeting Site in 1997 - Millsaps College,
- Meeting Site in 1998 - University of New Orleans
- The Student Team Competition Report was given by Professor Steve Ligh.
There were 34 teams registered, but only 31 teams actually competed. Thirteen
schools from Louisiana and six schools from Mississippi entered the competition.
The winners were:
- First Place: Tulane University
- Second Place - University of Southern Mississippi
- Third Place: University of Southwestern Louisiana
Prizes of $100, $75, and $50 were awarded to the first three teams.
- The Student Papers Committee, chaired by Professor Stella Ashford,
reported the following winners:
- "The Probability of Dropped Objects", Chris Gresham, Northwestern
State University of Louisiana
- "A Special Type of Scalar Matrix", Kimbeni Harris, Southern
University and A&M College.
Savings bonds in the amount of $50 were awarded the winners.
- The Resolutions
Committee Report was given by Professor Burrow Brooks.
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned.
Rose Strahan, Secretary/Treasurer