LA/MS Section - Distinguished Teaching Award Info
A Section Selection Committee will choose one of the nominees
for the Section Award. The award recipient will be honored at the
section's annual meeting. Anyone is entitled to make a
but nominations from chairs or MAA representatives in departments of
sciences are especially solicited. Self-nomination is not permitted.
The MAA urges you to submit a nomination to be considered for the
award if you have someone eligible and qualified in your department. If
selected, he or she will be considered for the national award. Even if
not selected this year, it is an honor to have been nominated.
In order to be considered eligible for this award, a nominee must
each of the following criteria:
Nominees will be judged on the following criteria:
- Any nominee must be a college or university teacher assigned at
during the academic year to teaching a mathematical science in a public
or private college or university (from two-year college teaching
teaching at the Ph.D. level) in the United States or Canada. Those on
leave (sabbatical or other ) during the academic year in which theyare
nominated qualify if they fulfilled the requirements in the previous
- Any nominee must have at least 5 years of teaching experience in
- Any nominee must be a member of the Mathematical Association of
To submit a name to the committee:
- Is the nominee widely recognized as extraordinarily successful in
Teaching can be interpreted to be more than classroom teaching. It
also include activities such as preparing students for competitions,
students to become majors in a mathematical science or to become Ph.D.
- Has the nominee's teaching effectiveness been well documented?
- Has the nominee had an influence in teaching beyond his/her own
This can take on many forms such as making a lasting impact on alumni,
providing influence on the profession through curricular revisions in
mathematics teaching, making contributions to influential innovative
on the teaching of college mathematics, etc.
- Has the nominee fostered curiosity and generated excitement about
in his/her students?
In order to be considered, nominations must be submitted on the
Form to the Committee Chair.
For consideration, a complete nomination packet must be received by