The name of this Section shall be the Louisiana-Mississippi Section of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA).
The purposes of the Louisiana-Mississippi Section shall be to advance the mission of the MAA on a regional level (namely within the territory defined in Article II below); to offer guidance to the MAA as it forms and fulfills its mission; to provide professional development and networking activities for Section members and mathematics students in geographically accessible locations; and to promote discussion and action on issues affecting mathematics teaching, learning, and research in the region.
The membership of the Louisiana-Mississippi Section shall be members of the Mathematical Association of America whose MAA mailing addresses are in the states of Louisiana and Mississippi. Exceptions may be made by the MAA membership department upon request of the affected member.
- The officers of this section shall be a Chair, a Program Chair, a Program Chair-Elect, a Secretary-Treasurer, and a Newsletter Editor. The Executive Committee of the Section shall consist of the officers of the section, the Immediate Past Program Chair, the Section NExT Coordinator, the Webmaster, and the Section Governor.
- Each section officer must be a voting member of the Mathematical Association of America and of this Section.
- (a) The officers shall be elected at the annual business meeting of the Section.
(b) The term of office for the Chair shall be three years. The term for the Chair shall not coincide with the term for the Section Governor.
(c) The term of office for the Program Chair-Elect shall be one year. At the end of this term, the Program Chair-Elect shall assume the position of Program Chair. A Program Chair-Elect who is elected in an even-numbered year shall be from Louisiana. A Program Chair-Elect who is elected in an odd-numbered year shall be from Mississippi.
(d) The term of office for the Program Chair shall be one year, after which he or she assumes the position of Immediate Past Program Chair for one year.
(e) Terms for the Secretary-Treasurer and Newsletter Editor shall be three years, and terms for these two officers shall not coincide.
(f) Terms of officers other than the Secretary-Treasurer shall begin immediately upon the adjournment of the annual business meeting. The term of the Secretary-Treasurer shall begin on May 1 in the year of the election.
(g) The Chair, Program Chair and Program Chair-Elect shall not be eligible to serve more than one consecutive term. Other officers shall be eligible to serve two, but not more than two, consecutive terms. All officers are eligible to serve more than one term, subject to the above restrictions on consecutive terms. In the event of a tie in the election of a Section Officer, the Location and Nominations Committee will decide the election.
(h) The Webmaster and Section NExT Coordinator shall be appointed by the Chair, with the approval of the officers, for a term of one year.
- The nominations for Section Officers shall be submitted by the Location and Nominations Committee to the Chair, and may also be submitted by voting members of the Section directly to the Chair, no later than two weeks before the annual business meeting. Nominees for Chair must have served previously for at least one year on the Executive Committee.
- The duties of the Executive Committee Members shall be:
(a) The Chair shall preside at each meeting of the Section and of the Executive Committee of the Section and be an ex-officio member of each committee. The Chair, or his or her designee, shall be the official Section representative at the national MAA meetings.
(b) The Program Chair, assisted by the Program Chair-Elect, shall be responsible for planning and executing the annual section meeting. The Program Chair shall act as Chair in the event the Chair is unable to preside.
(c) The Secretary-Treasurer shall keep minutes of official meetings of the Section and meetings of the Executive Committee; shall be responsible for the safekeeping of all monies paid into the Section for any purpose; shall be responsible for the payment of bills of the Section; shall maintain proper and accurate books, accounts, and records of the Section. A report shall be made at the annual business meeting of the Section. The Secretary-Treasurer is responsible for preparing and sending the annual Section report to the Committee on Sections, as well as the annual section meeting report and the section financial report to the MAA Director of Finance.
The Secretary-Treasurer and the Chair together may grant authority to the organizers of a meeting to handle financial matters connected with that meeting. These matters could include the deposit of income and the payment of bills. Such authority may be granted only for a specified time period not to exceed six months.
(d) The Newsletter Editor shall produce a Section Newsletter at least once per year and shall be responsible for the distribution of this Newsletter to all Section members. The Newsletter Editor shall also be responsible for producing and distributing an announcement of the annual section and business meetings, along with a tentative program, a registration form, and other pertinent information.
(e) The Webmaster shall maintain the Section's web site. This shall be updated at regular intervals so that the information posted is current and accurate.
(f) The Immediate Past Program Chair shall recommend members to the Chair to fill open positions on all standing committees, with the exception of the Location and Nominations Committee.
(g) The Section NExT Coordinator shall advertise and recruit new faculty and mentors to participate in the Section NExT Program. The Section NExT Coordinator shall plan and implement the Section NExT activities at the annual section meeting.
- The Executive Committee shall conduct the affairs of the Section between meetings of the Section membership. A quorum for a meeting of the Executive Committee shall consist of at least two-thirds of the members of the Executive Committee.
- If a Section office should become vacant, the Executive Committee shall select a replacement from the Section membership to serve in that position until the next annual business meeting of the Section. If the term of that office does not expire at the conclusion of that meeting then a person shall be chosen by election at that meeting to fill the remainder of the term. If a vacancy for Section Governor should occur, the Executive Committee will recommend a member of the Section to the Board of Governors of the Association for the appointment as a replacement to complete the unexpired term.