James P. Crawford EPaDel Teaching Award
Plan now to nominate a colleague for next year's James P.Crawford EPaDel Teaching Award.
There are many excellent teachers of mathematics, but to be recognized by the MAA, they must be nominated by their colleagues.
Please consider nominating a colleague, a respected former teacher, or an inspiring speaker for the 2016 James P. Crawford EPaDel Section Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching. The nomination process is two-tiered. To initiate a nomination, the nominator must submit a one-page nomination cover sheet and nomination letter by December 15, 2015. The Selection Committee will screen the nominations, and around January 1 will invite some of the nominators to submit full nomination packets. The full packets should be completed with the help of the nominee's department chair and submitted by February 1.
Guidelines for nomination and the nomination cover sheet are available here.
Contribute to Teaching Excellence in the EPaDel Section
In 2003, the MAA EPaDel Section Distinguished Teaching Award was named to honor the memory of James P. Crawford of Lafayette College. Professor Crawford was an active supporter of the section teaching award during his life and provided a bequest to the MAA as part of an endowment for the award. This bequest funds about 40% of the award money and the remainder is currently paid from section funds. It was Professor Crawford's intention that his bequest be supplemented with other contributions to fully fund the award. To achieve this goal we ask that you make a donation to the fund.
To contribute, please print and mail our form with your check made payable to the MAA. Remember that all donations to the MAA are tax deductible.
- 2015: Pamela Gorkin, Bucknell University
- 2013: Maureen Carroll, University of Scranton
- 2012: Bela Bajnok, Gettysburg College
- 2011: Klaus Volpert, Villanova University
- 2010: John Meier, Lafayette University
- 2009: Barry Tesman, Dickinson College
- 2008: Robert Boyer, Drexel University
- 2007: Annalisa Crannell, Franklin & Marshall College
- 2006: Patrick Brewer, Lebanon Valley College
- 2005: Elizabeth McMahon, Lafayette College
- 2004: Marvin Brubaker, Messiah College
- 2003: If you know the recipient for this year please contact the EPaDel webmaster.
- 2002: If you know the recipient for this year please contact the EPaDel webmaster.
- 2001: Dennis DeTurck, University of Pennsylvania
- 2000: Anthony D. Berard, Jr., King's College
- 1999: Joanne Darken, Community College of Philadelphia
- 1998: James Crawford, Lafayette College
- 1997: Rhonda J. Hughes, Bryn Mawr College
- 1996: Nancy Baxter, Dickinson College
- 1995: Herbert Wilf, University of Pennsylvania
- 1994: William Dunham, Muhlenberg College
- 1993: David Sprows, Villanova University
- 1992: Doris Schattschneider, Moravian College
Winners of the James P. Crawford EPaDel Teaching Award may be nominated for the Deborah and Franklin Tepper Haimo Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching of Mathematics. Several Crawford Teaching Award winners from our section have gone on to win the Haimo Teaching Award.
Haimo Teaching Award Winnners